UPDATED**Nordyne/ No heat in auto-only in vent mode??

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Robert

Hi,

Not having 240vac could mean several things, but not a bad transformer.

Yellow and Orange wires.

Follow them to nearest connection point to see if there is 240vac there for them, 120vac to each one.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Ereed2

Ok Robert, I have some news! Got my trusty meter out and checked....I do have 240vac onthe orange and yellow wires at the molex connector. I hope its not the motor as I just had it replaced a lil over a year ago?! Thanks again!
Robert

Was that while in the heat-auto mode ?

Are there any more connection points between the molex connector and the motor for those two wires ?

Does the motor leads end of the molex connector plug look ok inside ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Ereed2

Yes Robert, that is in "Heat" "Auto" mode, there are no more conections from there, from there it goes straight into the blower motor, from what I can tell the insides of the molex plug look fine, any ideas?
Robert

Hi,

Look at the side of the motor and see if it shows the blower speeds with the wire colors.

IF the yellow is either low or medium low and orange is one of the line wires, then with 240vac at the plug, it should be getting to motor.

If so, then the motor would be bad.

Thanks,
Robert
Ereed2

Robert, the wiring diagram shows the yellow wire to be motor low and the orange is going to the circuit breaker, so I have a bad motor?? If so it didn't last long, I just replaced this not 2 years ago, which one is it on the order page here, are there any cheaper alternatives? Thanks for all your help!
Robert

Set t-stat to call for heat and then with 240vac going to motor, reach in and spin blower wheel hard in correct rotational direction and see if motor starts running and runs complete cycle.

Thanks,
Robert
Ereed2

Hello Robert, did as you said, called for heat, had my meter leads in the yellow and orange wires going to the motor and gave the fan wheel a spin and got nothing.? If the motor is bad, is there just one speed in it( the one that I need fo heat) that is bad cause it works fine in "Cool" mode and "Vent", just not in heat? Thanks Robert, you've certainly been a huge help!
Robert

What are the wire colors coming from your motor ?

Thanks,
Robert
Ereed2

Hello Robert,

Colors from motor are:

Red-
Black-
Yellow-
Orange-
Blue-
Robert

Hi,

Black = High = Cooling and Fan On Continuous
Blue = Med. High = nothing
Yellow = Med. Low = Heating
Red = Low = nothing
Orange = LINE = half of the 240vac (120vac/1 leg)

Try connecting the wire from board that is connected to yellow, try connecting it to the red wire.

THEN, if it works, take a reading at furnace return air grille and at nearest supply register to furnace for temps.

Low may be too slow, whereas Med. High would possibly be too fast.

Thanks,
Robert
Ereed2

So just run the yellow wire to the red wire? Red doesn't go to anything though.? Far as I know there is no board. Didn't understand about taking the readings at air grille? Thanks!
Robert

Hi,

Yep, no board, was just one of those circuit board days. Remove yellow motor wire from molex plug and remove red wire also, then place red wire where yellow wire was.

Get a pocket thermometer and place it in furnace return air grille (louvered door) to get return air temp.

Then do same at the closest floor or ceiling register, whichever you have.

Thanks,
Robert
Ereed2

Will do Robert! Will it hurt anything to run the motor like this...if it runs? Thanks!
Robert

Hi,

Shouldn't hurt anything, you're just lowering heat speed from med. low to low. Most furnaces use the low speed for heating.

Check the return and supply temps to get temp rise and compare to data sticker or nameplate temp rise specs.

Thanks,
Robert