Cold Christmas

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

PaulG

Hello,
Nice forum you have, just by reading previous posts I believe I have learned a few things about my furnace. Thank you.
I live with a poorly maintained 22 year old Nordyne model FEH-015HA-03. On Christmas morning I noticed an "elecrtrical burning smell" in the back bedroom of our home (the room that gets the best heat flow). It was like the smell when our hot water heater was going out so I assumed that may be the cause..... However, after sniffing around I decided the smell was coming from the heat register. Since it was Christmas day, we had to do the over the river and through the woods thing, so I shut the furnace off at the breaker box and we left. My wife never noticed the smell and I said nothing to her about it so she would not worry all day.
Nine years ago I had replaced the blower motor, so thought that it may be going out again. I sniff tested it and it seemed ok, so I investigated further. I opened the access door and was greeted by the smell. I first noticed that there was a wire that was not connected to anything, the wire was very corroded and the insulation looked burned. After checking the wiring diagram I saw that it was supposed to be connected to the lower "limit". The limit itself crumbled when I touched it, so I can't read the number on it. The wire coming from the otherside of the limit is still intact, but the insulation has a burned look to it. I traced the corroded wire to the 30 amp fuse, when I tried to pull it out it fell apart too.
Because that wire looked so corroded I am wondering if it had become disconnected sometime in the past. Would the furnace still work with only two of the three elements? Did I find the source of the problem, or is another element going out now? The furnace is 22 years old, is it time for a new one, or can it be repaired economically? It still was putting out heat when I flipped the breaker. I will appreciate any advice you you can offer.
Thank you, Paul
Robert

Hi Paul,

In 30+ years, I have yet to advise anyone to replace a electric furnace due to age. Simply because you can completely refurbish it for about half to 75% of the cost of a new one.

You would gain a new furnace shell/cabinet and a longer warranty with a new one.

Otherwise, same new parts, same efficiency, less cost and a one year warranty on all the parts.

Probably the disconnect assembly which in turn heated up wiring and eventually melted the limit.

Yes, you can use two or even one of the elements.

I would replace the disconnect assembly, the fuses, all suspect wiring and all limits and the sequencer.

THEN, I would buy an ammeter if I didn't have one or borrow one (wrap around jaw type) and test each element amp draw.

If not ok, replace the elements or restring them, depending on whether available.

Now, IF you can afford a new furnace, it is a better warranty, quicker and less work.

I just lay out the facts and let homeowner meet what is best for them.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
PaulG

WoW! Thanks for the quick reply! I was not expecting an answer over Christmas weekend. Thank you Robert.
After reading your advice I concluded that it was maybe a bigger job than I had the confidence to undertake. I called a "friend" who has done general contracting work to see if he could refer me to a local hvac co. to fix my problem, but he insisted on coming over to take a look at it himself. He looked it over and "thought" everything looked ok except the obviously burned parts.
He checked the elements with an ammeter and they checked out ok. He replaced all 4 fuses, the single limit switch and the burned wires. We turned it back on and all seemed to be working.
It took awhile to bring our house back to a comfortable temperature. I was continuously sniffing for burning smells but after the initial dust burn-off, didn't smell anything. When I went back to put the door back on the furnace, through a small hole in the blower hood I could see that the element was still glowing red (even though the furnace was "off" at the thermostat). As I was watching I heard a click and the element stopped glowing. A few minutes later I went back and the element was glowing again. I decided to stick around and observe........ About every 2-3 minutes the element would heat up, glow for about a minute and then shut off. I turned the furnace on and off at the thermostat several times, but everytime it was off the elements repeated the same off and on cycle. I have shut the furnace down at the breaker box for the night and the cold is creeping back. At least it was warm in here for awhile.............
Thanks in advance for your new advice, and if you say "I told you so", I definately have that coming, Paul
Robert

Hi Paul,

No disrespect meant here, but general contractors and electricians can get you and family killed when it comes to hvac.

With what you described originally, you have the cause of problem, damage from that and the likelihood for future damage due to old age components.

I would at a minimum replace the suspect/burnt wires, disconnect assembly, all limits and the sequencer.

Once again, just the facts, the decision is totally yours.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
PaulG

Hey Robert,
Thanks again for the rapid reply. Could you please put together a list with the part numbers so that I may order them. The disconnect units on the site look different from the original one.
Thanks again, Paul
Robert

You're very welcome, happy to help. How many Line voltage wires come into the disconnect assembly ? Two or four ?

Thanks,
Robert
PaulG

Hey Robert,
You must keep odd hours or be a night-owl like I am. The disconnect assembly has four wires going into it. I asume you got the same reply to your email address provided by the parts dept?
Thanks again, Happy New Year, Paul
Robert

Hi Paul,

I have an odd schedule and do a lot of my work consulting over the internet these days due to health issues and 30+ years in hvac.

At night is when all is quiet and easy to answer and play catch up if it was a busy day.

Just going down the list, hadn't seen the email yet.

Will get a list together for you tomorrow and send it on.

Happy new Year !!

Thanks,
Robert