Nordyne M1MB090ABW

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Diana

I need professional advice from a impartial source.
History of the furnace:
Installed June 1999
Comb blower/motor replaced September 1999
History from September 1999 to May 2005 unknown
New motor installed January 2008
New igniter installed October 2008
New circuit board installed November 2008
New igniter installed installed February 2010
Total of repairs since January 2008 is in excess of $1000.00. What should the life expectancy of this furnace be? Are repairs of this sort reasonable? I have no mechanical training but having to replace two igniters in a little over two years seems to me to be a little odd. Is it worth investing more money in or should I cut my losses and have it replaced?
Robert

Hi,

Too many variables to really say. A lot depends on the installer, the upkeep and maintenance and the experience of the person doing replacements and repairs.

With the age for most replacements mentioned and the almost 5 year span of unknowns, everything is fairly reasonable except the 2 ignitors.

While that can and does sometimes happen, it is not the norm.

Did you touch the element with your hands or fingers during install ?

Power surges, not enough airflow causing too much heat, etc. can all lead to that.

Nordyne/Miller-Intertherm make a fairly good furnace for mobile homes and have about the same longevity and problems as the other brands do.

Regular cleaning and service by a good reputable hvac tech will usually keep them running pretty well. A good PM service contracts catches a lot of problems before they become costly also.

At 10 1/2 years old and the unknown period, a new, more efficient furnace with a warranty may be best if feasible.

Talk to 2 or 3 local hvac contractors and get some info on your homes needs and let them show you what is available.

If going back with gas if you decide to replace, be sure it is rated for a mobile home installation.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Diana

Robert,
Thank you so much for your input. I will take your advice and contact 2-3 HVAC installers tomorrow.
Again thank you!
Diana
Robert

Hi Diana,

You're very welcome, happy to help.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?