nordyne model #E1EH-020HA smoking

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

shmeer

Hello,
My furnace was having some issues with kicking off in the middle of the night and I was advised that it may be the sequencers(2 of them)that had gone bad. I replaced them and last night it shut off again. Before I replaced the sequencers, the remedy for this was to flip the breaker on and off, turn the thermostat down and then back up, and it would fire up and work fine for a while. However, when I tried that this time I got a cloud of smoke and a very foul odor coming from the furnace. My father seems to think that dust on the heating elements caused this, but the smoke began to roll out immediately, if it had been dust on the elements, wouldn't they have needed time to heat up? Could it be a blown transformer? I read on here another guy that had a similar problem with a smoking transformer. The breakers just keep tripping when we try to turn it on now.
Thanks,
Angie
Robert

Hi Angie,

Need to open the panels and take a look at the components, wiring and the elements. Look for burnt wires, connectors or parts.

Probably more than just dust on the elements.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?