AC need new capacitor

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

DottieR

The A/C repairman just left, charged me $147 to replace a melted contactor on the outside unit. Nordyne MGHA-056ABFC-01 Serial MGH9203-03844.

He said my capacitor measured 28, should be 32-37 or something like that. Wanted another 167 to replace that. I have 2 questions.

The contactor is on the capacitor. Isn't that charging twice?

How much is the capacitor, where can I get it and can I replace it myself? The thing is already 18 years old, but he said the fan bearings are good, etc.

Oh, another question. How much is this diminished capacitor function adding to my electric bill?

Help much appreciated. Thank you.
DottieR

I just looked at the unit again. The capacitor is separate, round, 35/5, 440. Can I replace it with anything with those specs? It looks like it would be easy to just unplug the wires.
Robert

Hi,

Dual Run Capacitor # 1498 - 5361 can be seen and ordered from the right side here :

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/ColemanAC.html

It won't really effect the electric bill.

I'm sorry that he stole from you by overcharging you and trying to do it twice.

The capacitor as you will see is less than $32.

Your contactor is $30 or less also.

So $65 would buy them both.

Both can be changed out in about 15 minutes.

You do the math. $140 or less should have taken care of both replacements and he wanted $300+.

Do not touch the capacitor terminals, they can hold a charge that can kill if high enough even with unit off.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
DottieR

Thanks, Robert. You said, "Do not touch the capacitor terminals, they can hold a charge that can kill if high enough even with unit off." So how do I unplug the wires if I can't touch them?

I did find a capacitor locally for $25.
Robert

With voltage/electrical insulated needle nose pliers. You're very welcome, happy to help.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?