Intertherm e2eb-015hb fire

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

chicken42

My nordyne intertherm furnace model E2EB-015HB caught on fire. It was working fine on a/c with no problems.

We turned on the heat for the first time and it sounded like it was struggling, it was blowing heat but not very hard. It smelled really bad, not that first time use smell, but like a hot electrical smell. I switched the fan to "on" position and it worked fine, had heat, blew full speed and no smell. I turned it off after 5 minutes because I was afraid of it.

I turned it on later (in auto setting) with the bottom cover off to let my husband hear it..had the same smell. After 30 seconds or so it had a loud pop, sparks flew and the fire started in the blower motor. We had to use the extinguisher to put it out. It didn't damage anything around the motor (no burnt wires, didn't even burn the dust off). We put it back on the a/c setting and tried it, wouldn't even try to come on.

I had a service tech come out and he said it needs a new motor. He said he would call me with a price but when he called back he said we can't just replace the motor and need to replace the whole furnace, $1,100.

Should I get a second opinion or just let him replace it?

Should I get a second opinion
Robert

You can replace every part in that furnace for less than $1100. IF a motor is all it needs, then that is all I would replace.

We have any part needed and can help with any replacement info needed.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
chicken42

Thanks for your reply. I'm positive that it needs the blower motor since it caught fire. What I'm not sure of is if something else could have been wrong to make it do that. Could the motor work fine in a/c mode and not on heat? It was fine when the a/c was on. Just had the weird smell on heat setting and then only when it was on auto. Did fine in the fan on setting.

I know I need the motor, but is there a way to know if I need something else too prior to replacing the motor?
Robert

You'll need a new run capacitor. Look at all wires, connections, etc... . May need a new sequencer or fan relay.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?