Floor Insulation Questions

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

khepstar

Hello,

I am new to these forums, and have no home maintenance experience. I own a 1975 SW, and my parents and I are trying to do a lot of repairs, replacements, and renovations to make it more livable. One of the big issues I've had is that in the winter, the cost to heat the house (with a new furnace) is over $300/month. We're going to have to Community Services Consortium come out to look at my windows and see if they can help with weatherization, but we're thinking the floor is the main issue. We don't believe it has much insulation, if any. My ex said that he would apply the insulation (I was thinking roll type R-19?) if I bought it, and told him how to do it. Since he agreed to do it however, we had a piece of the kitchen floor replaced, and here's what the handy man found mid-fix:

Yes, that gravel is the ground under the house. I'm thinking that insulation is the best we have.

AND-- (just to show you for kicks) part of the flooring he pulled up had been eaten away:

Lovely!

Now I am concerned that:

(a) It's too big a job even if I held my ex's hand and showed him exactly how to hang each piece of insulation?
(b) Are there beams down there to connect the insulation to? It doesn't appear so... how does that work?
(c) Is it possible to use some kind of sprayed foam insulation under the house instead of trying to secure rolled r-19?
(d) How do you know if the insulation you're replacing contains asbestos or not?

Thank you very much for reading, I appreciate it!I'm blogging the whole renovation at: http://transmogrifyingcaravan.blogspot.com/

By the end of this my wide-eyed ignorance will become muscle-y know-how.
Greg

Hi & welcome. The job is not a difficult one but it IS time consuming. You do have time on your side right now since cold weather is a ways off.

The insulation is designed to hang under the joists like a blanket. you need to have air space under the joists to allow warm air to circulate in cold weather to keep the pipes from freezing.

Stay with fiberglass insulation. You also want the skirting to be there with with no gaps or holes.

Unless the old insulation was added by someone I would doubt that asbestos is an issue, It should be fiberglass.

I would recommend Mark's (the owner of this site) book, It addresses most of the repair & upgrade issues you may encounter as a mobile home owner. It's in the "Books & parts" section of the site.

I'm sure others here will add their thoughts as well.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."