Zone 2 / Zone 3 Mobile Homes

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

OBX

Can a zone 2 mobile home be upgraded to a zone 3 mobile home?
Yanita

What exactly are you trying to do to achieve the difference in zones?

Also you may get piece of mind knowing you have done upgrades to make your home structurally stronger, but this does not mean that ordinances/zoning would allow your home to be moved into an area that your home is not zoned for.

In other words, if your home is currently zone 2 and you did structural upgrades, I am not sure that you would be allowed to set up your home in a zone 3 area.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
OBX

We were trying to see if it could be upgraded to a zone 3 so that we could take it to the Outer Banks of NC.
It is a home that is being given to us and thought it would be nice to have it on the Outer Banks.
Guess the beach is out of the question.
Thanks
Greg

Hi & welcome. Just my opinion here, but by the time you pay for moving and the required upgrades, you would have as much money into it that you could buy a zone 3 home. And that's assuming that codes would allow you to upgrade to a zone 3 from a 2. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Arlo

I suspect that the local county building inspector's office is going to want to see the wind rating as a plaque mounted by the manufacturer on the home. You can try googling the county building inspector's offices and ask them. Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills and Kitty Hawk and south to Hatteras are Dare County and Corolla area and the mainland around route 58 are in Currituck County. There are lots of nice mobile subdivisions on the mainland in Currituck in towns such as Grandy. You can buy mobile lots there that are on waterfront. Anyway, it's worth checking with building inspectors. And check realtor.com for Grandy. It's about 25 miles from the ocean. Good luck.