carpet question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

kjmorgan

Had a pipe bust and flood my master bedroom/bath. It's all cleaned up now, carpet and pad removed (it should be illegal to place the walls OVER the carpet!), fans on to dry the plywood subfloor. My question is: when going back with new carpet, should I put plastic sheeting between the plywood and pad in the bathroom? I would really rather have vinyl in the bathroom, but I've never worked with it before, and I'm a total amateur at DIY anyway. thanks.
Greg

Most sub floors are partical board, If you have plywood all the better. You can but a water proof pad for the carpet, They are marketed as "Pet proof". Vinyl is ideal for bathrooms just for the water problems. It is not that hard to work with, but I will admit that I have not done much of it. I am sure that others will add to this. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

When we redid our bathrooms and laid new vinyl this is what we did...If you are not exact with measurements this is an easy way. Have lots of newspapers and a roll of masking tape. Once all items are removed tiolet, sink lay your newspaper on the floor covering all the area that the vinyl would cover. Tape together. Have your vinyl laid out in advanced, we laid ours on the front yard. Trace, cut, and install. Many vinyls will require or recommend a luan subfloor over your subfloor. If you do not do this you will at the least need to float the seams of your existing floor. Even with it you are better off to float overthe screw heads and seams.

JMO, Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!