what do you do with a MH too far gone?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Groo

I am curious what some of you have done with a trailer that is just beyond saving.

The one that I have been messing with off and on is right at the virge of being not worth it. It certainly would not be worth it to pay someone to fix it.

I have also been researching some tax forclosed property to buy. One of the properties that might be worth picking up for next to nothing, has a mobile home on it that looks to be in much worse shape. This other mobile home looks to not have a tounge or axle, making hauling it off a bit harder.

my initial though is save the frame and floor joists, then burn/recycle/throw away the rest.
Dean3

There might be a salvager that would buy it cheap,or take it for free. If there's lot rent involved then consider that it has to be paid by someone until the home has been completely removed,,property taxes too I'd guess. I wouldn't pay anybody to tear it down unless I absolutely had to for some reason.

A salvager can take it apart then bring a torch and cut the frame into pieces on site and load it on a truck/trailer,no running gear needed for that. Just a thought.

My place is far from perfect,works for now though. When I'm done with it if I can't get rid of it I'll call the neighbor,he has salvaged at least one 14x70 that I know of. I'll just tell him it's his and the lot rent is his too,that'll make sure he get on the job and the park owner can't get after me. Transfer of title should absolve me of responsibilty for accidents during salvage.

Dean
joedirt63

craigs list or something of that sort. part it out if you can. fixtures, kitchen stuff,appliances. even used lumber, guys like us always lookin for bargains, you know what they say one mans trash is another mans treasure. if you sunk money into it try get something back if not what ever you get is good. or you could put a big sign on it and say free take it away. lol
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
Greg

Depending on the location, A donation to the local Fire department may be a possibility. Some set off smoke bombs to practice Rescue of trapped victims before the ultimate "Fire practice". Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Groo

well, the one I currently have, is in the perfect spot for fire practice, but Its also right were I'd have a use for the joists, beams and whatever. I'm guessing fire practice wouldn't heat the beams too bad, but I'd loose the floor joists. be a shame to waste 25+ good 12' 2x6s

The one I may try to buy is not a candidate for fire practice. Its on a lot and a half with a large overhanging tree on a fairly major road. The good thing is it isn't too far from a scrap yard.I'd probably just rip it apart and scrap it myself if I buy it. I haven't seen inside, but from the outside it looks very old, a little rotten, and none to weather tight. From the outside, it looks much worse than the one I already have. I cant imagine the old RV type windows are worth much to anyone (besides my Dad's green-house dreams) and who'd want xheap fixtures that are probably around 50 years old.

so whats the general order of things?
I'd guess gut it by taking every thing from out of the shell (wires pipes, fixtures, interior walls), then the siding and windows, then the end walls, then just push/pull it to one side to do a controled collapse leaving the floor in place.
Dean3

Yes,gut it.

I'd suggest gutting,then remove the windows/siding,then the roof,then trusses,then wall studs.There will be wiring to pull etc as you go of course. That's general order and should be reverse of assembly. When it's time for the roof I'd try to bash it outwards/up from inside with an 8' 2x4 or something,then peel the loosened metal away. Be careful,it will be easier but gravity could get you! If it doesn't come apart at the 4' seams you might have to cut it before loosening,,you don't want a full length/width sheet of steel!

As you peel away sheeting,,inside or out,,check stability of the framing. On a weathered old structure the sheets could be stopping it from racking and collapse on you,,gravity again!! Some long 2x4s on hand to nail with 16penny nails from high to low(kitty corner) might be needed to stabilize temporarily. Take down the framing in areas without small rooms 1st,the areas with more walls should be more stable.

Just think "reverse of assembly" and "safety" and you should be ok. Pics throughout a good safe process might be great for the archives here! Consider it please.

Well that's the best I can do without writing a dang book! :lol: Maybe someone will chime in with possible tools needed.

Dean
Dean3

Have plenty of contractor garbage bags on hand for insulation and such.