1965 great lakes slanted floor

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Bunky

I have a 1965 Great lakes 12x60 and in the back bedroom all the way across the back wall the the floor is slanted down, everything appears to be solid and original is was the floor made like this ??
Greg

Mobile homes are built on an assembly line so I really doubt that it was built like that. I would bet that either the home needs to be re leveled or you have some joist rot that is allowing the floor to shift. I would bet on the re level based on what you said about the floor being solid. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Many of the older mobile homes were built with the floor joists running lengthways (60' direction) with the home instead of side to side (12' direction). I have seen many homes built this way with downward curves at the wall. With the homes built this way, there is not a lot you can do to actually correct the framing, without rebuilding that entire side of the home. You can fake out a flat floor in bedrooms and areas that don't have entry doors. If the above situation is your case, you will want to check the exterior siding, especially at the gable ends (12' wide ends), as this floor bending can create gaps in the siding.

This condition also shows up when a wood framed new roof is installed on top of an older mobile home, regardless of joist direction. The weight of the new roof can be too much for the joists to hold up without support under the wall.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.