window whammy

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

joedirt63

hello again , just aquiered a 87 zimmer 14x70 single wide, yeah , the one i was rebuilding for my kid. well any hoo. question about the windows. I'm no stranger to m/h and their probs, but never encountered this myself. upgrade windows in this thing ,not sure which to use replace ment or new construction. wall construction is 2x4 studs,aluminum corregated sideing ,insulation and then 3/8 sheet rock. I can do a reframed for any size window,but not sure which type to use or how to seal it and finish it off on the outside ,with the type of sideing. remember there is no sheathing between the sideing and the insulation. how do i seal the window frame from leaks and drafts?? besides getting some professional to do it .what would be the best method? thanks joe f.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
JD
Site Admin

I would use the replacement windows with the trim flange instead of the nail flange (new construction). The trim flanges will seal very nicely to your aluminum siding. Use a polyurethane caulk like DAP Dynoflex 230, (available almost everywhere) in 2 heavy beads on the back of the flange, shove the window in, level and to fasten, screws go into the side jambs of the window, not fastened from the front.

While you may not have sheathing behind the siding, the new construction window's nail fin will put fasteners in the rough framing around the windows. So new construction windows would work, but then you have to add trim to hide the nail fin. Wood trim needs maintenance and will eventually loose it's seal and eventually need replacing. The trim fin on a remodel window makes a nice white (most common color) trim around your window, showing no fasteners.

I order my windows to fit the existing rough openings. For $30 or so savings (per window), all the reframing and finishing of the siding and interior panels is not worth it.

That's the way I do it anyways
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

Well JD, I guess it must be an East/west coast thing. I prefer new construction windows and use alum. trim wrap on the trim.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
joedirt63

thanks to both of you guys. pretty much straight foward . just how i did my old home. but strikes another question. the trim work . I've seen this vinle composite stuff, in 1 by's it's white. I would use that along with vinle window to trim it out. cuts like wood kinda of and lasts like aluminum. question is has anyone ever used it and how does it paint? I don't like white trim.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
JD
Site Admin

I have used ChoiceDek / Trex fasica board (composite decking) for siding and window trim. I get the 9 1/2" x 12'-0" fascia board and rip it to the width I want. I like that it will not rot and seals well. I use and adhesive caulk on the back side to ensure that it won't warp with heat and age. This also gives me a limited color palette without requiring painting.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.