Moles pushed up dirt around the house, water under house

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

scottman

I went under the house over the weekend :shock: . Besides the rusty frame which I always fret over, I found quite a bit of sand on the foundation over about a 20 sq ft area. We used sand as fill before we put in our house. It turns out moles have pushed up the ground at the front of the house, where our flower bed is, between the sidewalk and the house, to the point it was over the foundation. When it rained and poured a few weeks ago, the water just went under our house. I suspected some water getting in just because of some gaps under there, but this was a lot of sand (and there was a lot of rain). I shoveled out as much dirt and sand as I could in front and esp dug out next to the concrete, to make a bit of a trench. It won't totally eliminate the problem, I think we had too much fill up there, thats the only area with the problem, at least with a normal rainfal it will more hopefully soak into the ground.

Advice - check the level of the ground and make sure it is STILL flowing away from the home!
Yanita

Hi,

This is what I know about moles.

First they do not eat plants or flower bulbs, that is usually the handiwork of voles and squirrels. Moles eat grubs, earth worms Japanese beetles and other insects. They are territorial and eat their own weight in insects daily. Mole control is not an exact science, and there are no easy answers or solutions to getting rid of them. One mole can tunnel as far as 200 feet in 24 hours.

Moles tunnel just under the surface of the ground, so their tunnels leave a raised area in your lawn, this is visible from the surface. They also have a secondary set of tunnels that are much more permanent.

To trap moles effectively you need a mole trap. To determine which tunnels are active stomp down sections of the raised tunnels, check the areas the following morning, whatever is raised again shows that is an active tunnel. this is where you want to put the traps. A trap is only good if it has NO human scent on it.

Now I have never used traps nor do I have a mole problem. My opinion of pesky critters removal is to get rid of the food source, in this case it is probably those fat white grubs you see when you did a hole.

Go to any lawn and garden center and get the stuff that kills grubs etc...once the food source is gone the critters will move on. My take awhile and repeated applications are necessary yearly. Follow the instructions on the insecticide.

As for the water drainage problem please post that question in the repair forum.

JMO, Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
scottman

Yeah, I was going to put it under repair, but I know what the problem is. This was more like advise. My wife planted a bunch of bushes initially which also raised the ground level some. Instead of moving the dirt and sand to another part of the yard we just moved it to the side. Also there is some ground shifting every year. Plus the moles, eliminating them is a lost cause because only more will come back, where we live. I just need to be more prudent about checking around the foundation. This needs to be something I do every spring I think. Next time it rains I will go under again to check for water. I hope everyone is enjoying fall, its coming!

Hi, Also if you always fret over the rusty frame maybe you should take care of it, before it gets any worst as stated in preventive maintenance at least I would. I know it solid steel. They say to use, zinc chromate or Asphalt based paint or any other paint equivalent level of protection.
Greg

One of the ways I have heard about for getting rid of moles is gum, Yes chewing gum. unwrap the gum with gloves and drop into their hole, they eat it but can't digest it. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
lefties

gums a fable,, some say it works for groundhogs too,,again a fable. i do mole work,,yanita was right on-they live on worms and grubs,,total carnivores. Trapping them will help besides the treatments. Each yr u dont trap em they are having baby moles,,so you will get more and more. Some i have seen are as big as a cpl week old kitten. Victor spear traps or outa site mole traps work well.
1997 commodore repo-1450 sq ft.
Yanita

Hi,

I consider this thread answered and wil now lock it off.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!