Leaky roof, walls, or floor...? I have no idea!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

washingtonMHowner

We have a 1998 manufactured home and have lived here for just over 4 years.
Last summer we had a plumber fix a leaky shower drain, replaced the insulation and re-sealed the underbelly.
At first there were no problems but then it started to get chilly in that sectionof the house and mold started to grown on all outside walls/closets.
It was suggested that it could be the gutters needing to be cleaned, and we have done that--but would that cause an on-going (yet invisible) leak that would be causing the coldness and the mold problems?
JD
Site Admin

While it is possible for any water source to find it's way in the walls, it is not very common. You would need to check behind the gutter to first see it the gutter itself is leaking, then check the top of the gutter next to the home to see if water is getting in behind the gutter. If it is, then check for signs of dry rot that would allow water into the wall.

My first suspicion would be the edge of your roof. Look for cupping or warping of the first course or two of shingles. This would allow water to travel sideways before falling off the edge of the roof into the gutter. When water ponds or travels sideways on a shingle roof, it will almost always leak into the wall, unless Ice & Water shield is installed on the edges of the roof. This (ice & water shield being installed)is usually not the case with factory shingle roofs. This type of leak is common in mobile/manufatured homes without over hangs.

I guess it is possible for you to have a metal roof, but thought that would be unlikely due to the year of the home. On metal roofs, recoats to seal the edge of the roof is a regular maintenance chore to prevent edge leaks.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
joedirt63

check under shingles near the edge and drip rail if you have one, i have leak turned out to be a hole in the shingle 2 rows up plus jerks who installed the roof nailed shingles too low on theseal strip of shingles.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me