Complete Rehab

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

oldwing

My wife and I just purchased a 14X56 mobile that has soft places in the floors, lousy carpet, refrigerator, counters, cabinets, windows... in effect it needs a total rehab. Problem is we have to move into it and do the work while we live there. Any advice on what to do first? Obviously new refrigerator is prime importance. We want to switch from elec range to gas range. We also want to eventually move the tub, sink and toilet to allow for a different layout. Exterior is good with exception of one window that needs immediate replacement.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Oldwing in NH
Greg

Hi & welcome. The first thing you need to do is get your home weather tight. As you know water water will do damage fast, you don't want your work ruined before you get it done.

Since you have to live in the home You will have to do one room at a time, this is going to slow you down since you can't get in there and just rip & tare. I think that if possible I would do the kitchen & Bath last, that way you will have a better idea of what to expect and a little more experience so you will make better time.

Mark (the owner of this site) has written a book that covers about all the repairs and upgrades your home will need. It's in the "Books & Parts" section of the site. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Brenda (OH)

also, in the planning phase, maybe do the roooms farthest from the exit first, to limit dragging debris through finished rooms..

paint before redoing flooring....

redo floors last, so not dragging debris across them....

did that help?
Groo

you'll want to become good friends with your neibors before tearing up your only bathroom. losing a kitchen isn't a big deal. The fridge can go in any room and the bathroom has a sink. (its amazing what you can cook with a slow cooker and a gas grill, slow cooker rice crispy treats...mmmmm)

just do it a room at a time, and plan out you stages before hand.
Greg S

If it were me, knowing my wife as I do, I would do the bathroom first. If possible even before I moved in. A nicely finished mold free bathroom would make all the rest of the inconveniences tolerable from her perspective.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
psalmx

Definitely get it weather proof first. I had a situation similar to your except I had 3 months before I moved in. Now I'm in my 90% finished home in a major rainstorm watching two in my newly installed windows leak on my new drywall :(
oldwing

Thanks Greg. I'll be ordering that book.
oldwing

Brenda (OH) wrote:also, in the planning phase, maybe do the roooms farthest from the exit first, to limit dragging debris through finished rooms..

paint before redoing flooring....

redo floors last, so not dragging debris across them....

did that help?
Yup - work from top down, back to front. Good advice.
oldwing

Groo wrote:you'll want to become good friends with your neibors before tearing up your only bathroom. losing a kitchen isn't a big deal. The fridge can go in any room and the bathroom has a sink. (its amazing what you can cook with a slow cooker and a gas grill, slow cooker rice crispy treats...mmmmm)

just do it a room at a time, and plan out you stages before hand.
Mama likes the 'do the bathroom first' thing - right after new windows.
oldwing

Greg S wrote:If it were me, knowing my wife as I do, I would do the bathroom first. If possible even before I moved in. A nicely finished mold free bathroom would make all the rest of the inconveniences tolerable from her perspective.
Right-o. Good advice. A happy mama makes a happy home.
oldwing

psalmx wrote:Definitely get it weather proof first. I had a situation similar to your except I had 3 months before I moved in. Now I'm in my 90% finished home in a major rainstorm watching two in my newly installed windows leak on my new drywall :(
Weatherproof first, then bathroom, then the rest of the soft floors. The rest comes as budget allows.