Older home Updates ?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Bunky

I bought an older (late 60 early 70's) Mobile home on a piece of property, it's in need of some repairs, the doors need replaced and the roof needs work,

The home was completely resided with vinyl about 10 years ago, and If I remove the Home I have to either put a double wide on or build an addition on the new trailer so it has a 24ft square core, I don't want to do this because the lot is narrow and I just as soon keep this unit here...

Has anyone cut down a regular entry door to work on a Single older home ??

also from reading the older homes had aluminum wiring rather then the copper should this bee changed ???

I also need to redo the ceiling what should I use to re insulate the ceiling ??
Greg

Hi & welcome. The list of possible upgrades is endless. You need to decide what you feel is important to you. Most of us here go for the functional upgrades such as windows & insulation.

Aluminum wiring can cause issues, You should contact a qualified electrician and have him check your home.

Doors can be cut down, I think Mark has posted it in the Articles section of the site. He also has written a book that covers most upgrades & repairs it's in the "Books & Parts" section of the site. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Lifted79chevy350

My mind never stops working.
Bunky

Thanks Guys for the quick replies,

i have a couple of more questions about MH I don't know what Make or year it is yet, it has been resided with vinyl so the tags are covered,

The heat ducts are ran inside the Home with covers over them, would it be alright to run pex for water next or over the top of these ducts ??

And does anyone know if when they stopped using a plug in pigtail on Mobile homes ?
Greg

Mobiles are designed to have the water lines run near the heat ducts to keep them from freezing. Make sure the under belly is also sealed to keep cold air out.

I think Pigtails went out in the 70's Make of a home that old is really not too important, as for an age check the breaker/fuse box there may be a date on it. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Bunky

Well today I checked the fuse panel and it appears to be all copper wiring,
that's a plus....