Shower/Bath Tub Floor Cracking.....

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mkarns

Help!

Our 4 year old shower/tub floor is cracking around the drain.

I've tried fixing it with fiberglass matting and repair and that held for a while until the water got under the fiberglass matting.

Then I tried JB Weld which held for some months; now that has cracked.

Is there a way to fix this permanently or am I looking at a new tub replacement?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
M. Karns
Greg

Hi & welcome. As you have found out the only real fix is a sawsall. Cut the tub into quarters and deposit it into the trash. If you keep just repairing the tub, you will also end up repairing the floor under it.

Don't cheap out when it comes to a replacement, fiberglass or acrylic are the top choices. remember if you have a 54" tub you may have problems finding one in stock, Lowes & Home Depot usually stock a 54" white steel tub. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Keep in mind that a standard Lowe's type 54" tub is 30" wide. A mobile home tub is 27" wide. A pony wall or toilet might not leave enough room for the 30" wide tub.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Groo

make sure you actually stand in whatever you plan on replacing it with and feal for any flex. if it moves whne new, it cracks when old.