Repair/fill nail holes

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jjs

All walls in my mobile are very thin. My bathroom has some very large nail holes. What is best way to fill without it sinking into void behind wall? Thanks! jjs
Greg

Hi & welcome. if it is sheetrock, many times a dab of joint compound is all you need. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Groo

some of that expanding foam can be used the grab on to the back of the panneling, then slice it off after it expands and fully cures. then the joint compound and paint if you desire
jjs

Many thanks to Greg and Groo for their replies to my nail hole problem. The expanding foam is a great idea for that void behind the super thin walls. Thanks again! jjs
complete

If you have a vinyl-covered or papered sheet rock with a pattern that's impossible to match, then those little dabs are the way to go. In my experience latex caulk has two advantages over compound - 1) you have a better chance of finding a color to match your wall, with beige, almond, cameo, brown and white caulks available. 2) As the water evaporates the joint compound experiences shrinkage, which is less of an issue with caulk. Would definitely wipe with a wet rag after dabbing with your finger, to avoid the "halo" of glossy reflection around the hole after fixing.

If you have a series of nail holes (or a larger hole), then these wall repair patches give a solid base you can then smooth and paint over.

<<<Link removed by moderator>>>
JD
Site Admin

Hi complete and welcome to the forum. Sorry but advertising links are not allowed in forum posts or signatures.

I do agree with your latex caulk statement and use the colored caulk often. Sherman Williams has a pretty good assortment as well (complete offers this product through his own web site). I have also found latex infused caulk in the smallish pails that work well. The one I get is about a pint of caulk in a pail big enough for a standard putty knife which is white, but allows me to fill holes and cracks faster.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Lifted79chevy350

Body putty perhaps
My mind never stops working.