Metal Roofing Replacement

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

rstellico

Know this may have already been addressed on here. If so just point me the right direction. Ours is a 16x74 mobile home with a peaked roof. But the thing that concerns me in putting a new metal roof is the trusses. This home was manufactured with 1x 1 1/2 inch wood at 2 foot intervals. Was concerned about the extra wight and the walls. Loved the cardboard for a vapor barrier. All fell down over the years.
Greg

Check the articles section "An inexpensive metal roof you can install yourself"

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
rstellico

Thank you and will
rstellico

Ordered the download and read it. Good instructions. The only part I will dread is trying to hit that 1 inch board for the rafters with a screw. Considered it may cause them to split? Thanks for the download and help
rstellico

The only question I have is that the rafters on this home are only 1 inch think and was concerned about trying to actually hit them with a screw. Any problem making them split? If they had been at least 2 IN wouldn't think about it. The instructions on finding them and chalking is good in the manual.
JD
Site Admin

Unless there is sheathing between the trusses and metal, the trusses should be very easy to find. You can feel them with your feet and even hands. The metal should have plenty of give on each side. If you glance off onto the edge of the truss, you could split off a small piece, but it shouldn't be too detrimental. Your trusses should be 1 1/2" wide and 3/4" thick. It is best to have screws that totally penetrate through the 3/4" thickness to reduce the chances of them backing out due to expansion and contraction.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
rstellico

I really appreciate all the help and info. It has been very helpful and will hopefully get this done.