New Roof

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

saxman14701

Have a quick question. Planning on doing a roof-over this summer after re-leveling my home. Would it be a waste of time and money to double the thickness of the 1 x 4 furring strips and insulation to 2 inches before attaching the metal roofing?
Greg

When it comes to the insulation factor, I doubt that the increase in cost would be a waste of money, The labor time would be the same, so it's just the extra price of the insulation. Go for it!! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Rod

Hello!

Just remember the thicker the lathe you lay down the longer the fastner has to be. We use 3" ring shank nails.(with a Bostich stick nailer) So if you have 2" thick lathe that only leaves 1" for bite into the truss. Not enough in my opinion.

2 options.

1. If you really want to use full 2" you should scew the lathe down with 4" screws. Draw back is very time consuming vs pneaumatic nailer.

2. Split the difference. Use a 2x4 for your you lathe. At 1.5" thick
that leaves another 1.5" for bite with the nailer. Use a good quality foam board. There are some foam boards @ 1.5" = R10 check with local suppliers to what they have.

Also you can by pre-made wide face drip edge to cover the 2x4 as it has a 1.5" face. If you go thicker you will have to buy the product from the fabricator $$ or bent it your self on a brake

Good Luck

Rod
saxman14701

Thanks for the input. I thought about using a 2x4. After your response I think that will be the option I use. Thanks for your help
Rod

Happy to Help. Good Luck. Take some pics.

Rod