Skylight/Re-roof

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Mikek

I have bought Mark's book and have decided to do the metal re-roof. We live in a 1984 14 x 70 Hampton. The roof has a 3/12 pitch. I have a couple of questions that I hope some one will be able to answer. The biggest is the 2 skylights that are existing. We prefer not to get rid of them. They are both the domed plexi -glass type and the rough openings look to be about 14-1/2 x 30. I was going to upgrade to the Velux FS series that is made for metal roofs and has a special flashing kit. Unfortunately the only size they have for a 14-1/2 R/O is 46 inches long. I don't want to re-frame. So here's the question , Is it O K to build up a frame to above the height of the new metal roof and install new domes. The next question is what is the proper sealing and flashing for around the new dome frames.
Rod

Hello!

What is your current roofing material?

Shingle or MH skin metal?

Rod
Mikek

Hello Rod,
The home has the m/h skin metal, hope you have some help for me.
Thanks
Rod

Ok here it is!

Read the next two sentences twice!

Most skylights at some point will eventually leak. My advice is to remove them. But if you insist read on!

Please go back and read those two sentences again!

Allright enough of my BS.

Hope this helps!

Read the last post on this thread. It explains about raising vents etc. If you use a skylight with built in continuous flashing the same method would apply. The lower the profile of the ribs in this case the better as less open area to seal.

https://www.mobilehomerepair.com/phpbb/v ... php?t=5174

Skylights are tricky enough. Even more on a MH roof over job, especially with a low roof pitch. Take your time.

Re-garding the Velux

As far as re-framing the opening goes you would only have to move one of the horizontal nailers up or down.(wood blocks between the trusses) You wouldn't have to mess with the rafters/trusses. Once that's done trim out the opening with what ever material you prefer. If you line it with drywall it wouldn't hurt to use greenboard. (just in case)

Also look to see what the minimum pitch requirement is on those Veluxes.

Good Luck!

Rod