Coleman 3400A812 Electric Furnace Not Blowing

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

delrahim69

I have a Coleman 3400A812 in my manufactured home. Last night it just stopped working, I noticed when this morning it was freezing cold. I hear a clicking sound coming from vents and the unit itself as if its trying to turn on. I can see the coil heated but it doesn't blow anything out, just clicking sounds. I have checked the breaker and still not working. It is going to be below 30 deg this week and need to get it fixed asap. Do not have the money to pay for service call. I appreciate any help you can give.

Delano J.
Last edited by delrahim69 on Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert

Hi,

The forums are here. Most any question on any furnace has been asked and answered and easily found with some searching here.

Throw in the articles on hvac and quite a lot for free. Then there is several links to email questions if nobody is here answering.

I oversee and basicly handle the hvac forums, BUT also work away from the computer/office.

Throw in bad health issues and you may have to sometimes wait if you wish to not search for an answer.

Also, it has been less than 2 days since you posted.

Now, with that said, change the title and attitude and I will be glad to help.

These hvac forums are a lot of things, but crappy ain't one of them.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
delrahim69

Changed title. I searched the forums and anywhere else but found nothing about my problem. I have froze my a$$ off the last 2 days. It has been below 15 degrees at night and a high of 30 deg in daytime. I do not have money to have service call and need help in finding the exact problem to try and fix myself. I am sorry for being rude but this is the only site worth posting my problem and with no answer I became irritated. I hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks
Robert

Hi,

When you look at all that is here, the amount of questions asked and answered, most by me, it will quickly show this a very helpful and active board.

Someone not being here would be unusual and indicate something may be wrong.

I do not allow anyone without experience to answer these questions, so if I'm away and the few who answer from time to time are away, a wait may be only option.

However, an email would solve that to alert me if I'm elsewhere.

I also answer between 15 to 25 or 30 email and forum questions per day aside from other work.

Now, I will read and be back shortly.

BTW, my signature line at bottom sums it up nicely. :wink:

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Robert

Could be a bad sequencer, bad run capacitor, bad blower motor, loose/burnt wiring as most common.

IF you have a/c. turn it to cool and auto and see if blower runs.

If no a/c, turn t-stat or furnace switch to Fan ON and see if blower runs.

Thanks,
Robert
delrahim69

Robert,

nothing happens. I had turned switch to off position for over 24hrs, heard it could overheat and that might fix it but no luck, I turned fan to on and no air coming out. I could smell the coil heating up(that smell of a heater freshly started) but nothing coming out.

Can you give me an estimate of what it will cost for sequencer, blower motor, capacitor or the wiring. Is it possible for a novice to replace any of these parts??
Robert

Hi,

Yes, it is DIY if you're handy and have basic hand tools and a wire crimper/stripper.

I will work up a price list and post back tonight.

Until then, when you set t-stat to cool-auto and lowest t-stat setting, does the outside condenser start up at least ?

Thanks,
Robert
delrahim69

I only have central heat, no a/c hooked up. But when I turn on t-stat I can see it heating up and hear a clicking sound from the vents. Please let me know what ya think and parts needed.

Thanks
raydizzle34

Turn the fan to the on position. Do you hear your motor beginning to hum like it is trying to start? If so, try spinning the squirrel cage to see if that helps get the motor going. If that doesn't work you could have a bad motor. If the motor does start going you could have a weak capacitor that needs to be replaced.

Do you have a ammeter?
Robert

Need to see if voltage is getting to motor. Would need a volt meter for that.

Do you have a meter and knowledge of its use ?

Thanks,
Robert
delrahim69

I turned to on position nothing happened. I do not have a volt meter and never done anything like that before.
Robert

Hi,

You will need to either get a relative, friend or neighbor who has a meter and knowledge how to test for voltage to test motor or call an hvac tech out.

Need to know if you even have power to the motor.

Thanks,
Robert