wallboarding the window

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

creekside

i want to block a window when i put wallboard up to allow a tv "over" the fireplace...what should i be watching out for. It receives setting sun and is about 18" by 24"...new vinyl clad window..
DCDiva

If you want to just stop the light from coming in I would not do something permanent because you never know if u might want to change the room or resale value--why not do something decorative like a picture frame but make the back out of plywood or 1/4 lueun--paint the back white--the side toward the outside will look like a blind from outside--screw the ply to the studs so it will not move and you can mount the tv to this if you want to I would paint it black but it would look nice and fix the window problem and if you ever want to change it just take it down
Melissa
JD
Site Admin

I think I remember that code requires the equivalent of 10% of the floor area must be represented in window area. A 12x20 room would be 240sf, requiring 24sf of window space. An 18"x24" window is 3sf. Hopefully you have enough other windows in this room. This is probably a code a lot of inspectors might overlook or miss as long as there is adequate regress available in the other windows.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.